Access course presentations here.
Click here to access presentations from the course.
The programme is packed with TV, radio, OOH, cinema, print, social media and digital. We also have papers about the use of insight for planning and strategy. Last year we added a tools talk, incorporating Excel and tools for data.
The Evening Classes are designed for new joiners to the media industry (we recommend up to three years experience), as an introduction to media research and industry currencies. Also, those researchers who have had little or no exposure to the different media currencies would find this of benefit.
On the first evening, we will have welcome drinks after the session and after the last session, we will have a networking event, with members of the MRG committee and speakers. Drinks and canapes will be provided on the last night.
- Location: etc Venues, 51-53 Hatton Garden, EC1N 8HN (see map)
The cost for the course is
- £545 for MRG members
- £595 for non-members - includes MRG membership
Booking 10 or more places? Contact Alex to discuss our premium package.
You can book your place on the course here.
If you have any problems with this or if you would like more information, please contact Sally Hiddleston on 01794-341337 or via e-mail. If you would like more information about the programme in the short term, please email Alex Maddox.
1. Overview of insight techniques and tools: Mon 27thFebruary
- The Building blocks of research (Lynne Robinson IPA)
- Quant (John Carroll - GFK)
- Tools - Excel and free tools for data management (James Smythe Culture of Insight)
- Chairs : Alex Maddox and Stef Hrycyszyn
Followed by drinks with MRG committee members for speakers and delegates.
2. Radio and outdoor: Mon 6th March
- Route (James Whitmore - Route)
- Route in practice (Russell Smither - Posterscope)
- Rajar (Paul Kennedy and Mark Barber - Radiocentre)
- Rajar in practice - what research Radio Centre do and how they use it to promote their medium (Mark Barber)
- Chair : Christel Swift and Charles Lawrie
3. Published brands: Mon 13th March
- PAMCO (Simon Redican)
- Jicreg (Keith Donaldson)
- Published brands in practice - what research Newsworks do and how they use it to promote their medium (Kuldip Khella)
- Chair : Charlotte Pilgrim and Ruth O'Neill
4. Consumer surveys: Mon 20th March
- TGI (Emma Hargreaves - Kantar)
- Touchpoints (Simon Frazier)
- Consumer Surveys in practice (Sarah Gale)
- Chair: Max Willey and Julie Hamshere
5. Television and cinema 27th March
- Cinema (Sarah Dack - DCM)
- TV in practice what research Thinkbox do and how they use it to promote their medium (Oliver Robertson)
- BARB (Simon Bolus)
- Chair: Frances Sheardown
6. Statistics, digital, social media, visualisation, day to day use of research in planning and strategy. Mon 3rd April 2pm to 6pm
Digital and social media
- UKOM Ian Dowds
- George Hopkinson (IAB) Measuring the digital market through the IAB / PwC Ad spend study
- George Hopkinson (IAB) How to measure results from reach through to effectiveness from digital campaigns
- Social media and digital listening (Scott Thomson - Starcom)
Bringing it all together
- Data fusion and integration (RSMB)
- Integration and modelling (Telmar)
- Statistics (Martin Van Staveren - Kantar)
- Visualisation the right type of chart tips and tricks (Scott Thomson)
Media Research, planning and insight as used by media agency clients
- How TV research is used in TV planning and strategy (Gavin Jones, Havas Media Group)
- Use of research in radio planning
- Use of PAMCO and other research in planning and strategy
- Insight in planning (Chris White Head of Insight PHD)
- Proprietary research and the use of insight in campaigns (Pauline Robson - Mediacom)
Chairs: The Committee
On the last evening we will have a drinks and canapes networking event with members of the MRG committee.